This week I have been featuring how to cook tender and flavorful chicken with bone-less, skin on chicken breast. My daughter Maddy loves Chicken Cordon Bleu. I wanted to make a healthier and lighter version for her with the same salty ham and cheese combo in a white meat chicken breast filet. I used the first steps in the last two recipes but ended up rolling the filling into the breast, tying it with kitchen twine and baking it. The result was outstanding.
Super Tender and Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu
Gluten Free, Low Carb and Low Fat
2 boneless skin on chicken breasts
4 oz good ham such as Cure 81
8 oz Gruyère cheese or Swiss cheese
Sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary or sage or all 3
Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper
1. Pan sear chicken breast skin side down in a hot pan for 3-4 minutes and pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Dice ham and cheese and clean and cut herbs.
3. Lay chicken breast skin side down on a cutting board with the kitchen twin underneath lengthwise and pile cheese, ham and herbs on the skin less side.
4. Roll chicken breast and tie with twine. This takes a little time and is just a tad bit difficult but have patience it is worth it. Spread a small amount of oil oil on the bottom of your baking pan so that the chicken does not stick.
5. Arrange chicken breasts in pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until skin is crispy and internal thermometer reads 160 in this thickest part of the chicken. Do not insert thermometer into ham and cheese center but off to this side in the chicken meat for best results.
Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.